Before you give your handset to repair shop or buy new handset, please try the following procedure to repair your device. First charge your battery more then 70%, backup your important data like phone-book, message, email, images and settings and in most cases take out SIM card and SD card. After doing hard reset not possible to recover your data, so online backup is always important. For all of your data, a backup should be done on a external device, hard drive, raid system media or SD card.
How to Hard Reset Microsoft Zune
Zune HD: Press and hold power button (button on top of the device) for 10 seconds
Zune30/4/8/16/80/120 Devices: Press and hold the Back button (<-) + Up on the directional pad at the same time
Format Device from the Zune software (All devices):
Go to Settings > Device > Sync Options > Then click the "erase all content" button.
Initializing and formatting your Zune HD Device:
- Turn off your device.
- Then when turning the device back on hold the home (center) button and media button(on the side) at the same time.
- This will delete all content off of the device and allows firmware reinstall.
To enter Recovery mode –
- Press and hold the power and media buttons for 15 seconds.
- The device reboots into Recovery mode (content is not erased, allows for firmware reinstall).
- This is a good option if you want to keep the content on your device, but reinstall the firmware.
Formatting and reinitializing your Zune30/4/8/16/80/120 Devices:
- You must first reboot your device (hold the back button and up)
- Then when the screen goes black, hold the corresponding buttons until the process begins. (“OK” refers to pressing the center of the D-Pad/Z-Pad.)
Clear Content (Format from Device) – Clears all media content from the device, but leaves the firmware intact.
V1 Devices (Zune 30): Press and hold Back + Right + OK
V2 Devices (Zune 4/8 and 80): Press and hold Back + Play/Pause
Initialize Disk – Removes the content and the firmware. Device will be inoperable until connected to a PC so new firmware can be installed.
V1 Devices (Zune 30): Press and hold Back + Left + OK
V2 Devices (Zune 4/8 and 80): Press and hold Back + OK + Play/Pause